There are quite a several amino acids that are quite popular among people. And that, of course, is because of the amazing benefits that you can get from these amino acids. Usually, they are available in supplement form, but they can also be gotten from the food that we eat daily. Well, today we will be concentrating on some phenylalanine rich foods. This way, you would be able to increase your intake of phenylalanine with just a little change in your grocery list. You sure don’t want to miss out on this so you have to keep reading.
Phenylalanine happens to be one of the essential amino acids. The body can produce certain amino acids while the body can’t produce some. So for the ones that can’t be produced by the body, you have to source for it yourself. The common means are through diet and supplements. Phenylalanine is a vital amino acid in the body. And it is very important for certain processes in the body. To give you a better idea of what this amino acid can do, we will be looking at some of the benefits of this amino acid.
Phenylalanine Rich Foods
- Fish: This happens to be one of the best sources of this amino acid. Tuna is known to be the richest when it comes to phenylalanine. You would get a bit more than the daily requirement of this nutrient. Also, salmon happens to be a good source of phenylalanine. You can easily add fish when making your sandwich.
- Eggs: A very common food that you can opt for is an egg. It is one of the cheapest sources of phenylalanine that you can get. With eggs, you would be able to get about 78% of your daily requirement of phenylalanine. And the good thing is that there are many recipes you can try out using egg.
- Cheese: One of the richest sources of this amino acid is raw cheese. With cheese in your diet, you would be able to get a good amount of phenylalanine. One good thing about cheese is that it’s not that expensive. And it also makes your food taste a lot better.
- Nuts: They are known to also contain a great amount of this amino acid. One good nut you can opt for is walnut. If you include walnut into your regular diet you can be sure that you would get a good amount of nutrients from this. The good thing is that nuts can be taken as snacks. So you can opt for nuts in-between meals. Other nuts you can opt for are cashew nuts, almonds, pistachio nuts, and peanuts.
- Whole grains: Some whole grains are known to have a good amount of this amino acid. Some of these whole grains are quinoa and brown rice. With about 100g of any whole grain of your choice, you would be able to get 300mg of phenylalanine.
- Beans: This is also one good option when you need phenylalanine in your diet. With beans, you would be able to get about 70% of your daily requirement of phenylalanine. Lentils or pinto beans would be a great option for you to opt for.
Benefits of Phenylalanine
- Normal body functions: Since phenylalanine happens to be one of the important amino acids in the body it is important for the making of proteins. Certain amino acids need phenylalanine before they can be made. And proteins are quite essential for the organs, muscles, and even blood in the body.
- For medical conditions: Some studies show that phenylalanine is one of the amino acids needed for certain conditions. Some of the research shows that it can be used in the treatment of vitiligo. Some other studies show that it can be very important for protecting the skin against UV rays.
- Pain relief: Another benefit of phenylalanine is that it serves as pain relief. The studies on this aren’t so advanced but then again some results show that this amino acid affects reducing pain.
- Alcohol withdrawal: Some research shows that this amino acid together with some other amino acids helps in alleviating the symptoms that come with alcohol withdrawal. The research and studies done on this aren’t so many but this has shown to have some effects.
Generally, phenylalanine is considered to be safe for intake. If you take foods rich in phenylalanine there are very little chances that you would take too much to cause any side effects. As for the supplement form make sure you follow the prescribed dosage. The good thing though is that side effects that come with overdosage of phenylalanine are quite mild.
People that have phenylketonuria should watch how much phenylalanine they consume. Too much phenylalanine in people with phenylketonuria can lead to problems in the body. And that can be very dangerous to the body of the person.
Apart from this, taking phenylalanine in your diet and supplement form is a good idea. You would be able to get the benefits that come with this amino acid. The easiest way to get this is by opting for phenylalanine rich foods. That way, you would be able to manage your daily phenylalanine intake a lot better.